Some hoodies

I made these hoodies for the little madam for Christmas but its taken me a while to put them up here. The grey one is a beautiful merino fleece from the Fabric Store that was very easy to work with and also washes and wears fantastically. No fading, pilling or stretching. I used some gorgeous Missoni knit to line the hood of this one. The Missoni knit is from Tessutis and I made her a small dress using it that she has long since outgrown but that she really loved. So I cut it up for the hood and also covered a small cushion with it. I used a Burdakids pattern 9482. Its a great pattern, simple and straight forward. The only change I made was to omit the cord around the hood. The hood is not that big and sits on her head really well without any tightening needed. The cord is a nice finishing touch and if I make this hoodie again I will make the hood a little larger and do the cord tightening thing.

This pattern has a great size range from a kids size 4 right up to a 14. I made the size 14 for her and it fits me as well so its equivalent to a Aus ladies size 8-10.

IMG_4566IMG_4568 IMG_4571

Yep, she’s pretty happy with her hoodie. Yaaaay!

IMG_4586

The other one is a lovely striped linen knit also from the Fabric Store that I thought would be a great light weight summer top, great in theory but this fabric stretched really badly. To look at the two tops together you wouldn’t think they were the same size. I washed both fabrics in the washing machine before sewing them up to avoid any shrinkage but it would have been good to have a bit of shrinkage with the linen. Ive put it in the dryer a couple of times and that shrinks it back a bit but as soon as she wears it for a while it stretches out again. I am going to shorten the sleeves and take it in a bit.

IMG_4764 IMG_4753 IMG_4751 IMG_4756

Photobombed by a munchkin in pink pajama’s.

This fabric was also a pain to cut out because it was so twisted. I had to cut each piece out separately and count the stripes at each seam to make sure they would match up to another seam but also to make sure I had the same amount of fabric at each seam. When I was pinning it I had to make sure to carefully match up each stripe and ease them together because it had differing amounts of ‘bulk’, I don’t think I’ve explained that very well but you can see in this photo.

IMG_4138Normally the front and back would be cut on a fold but it was impossible to do that with this fabric because it just would not lay the same. So I pinned the pattern piece on, cut around it except for the centre fold, then pinned a line down the centre fold and flipped the pattern over the centre fold to cut out the other side. I was very careful as I pinned the second side to count each stripe along each edge so that both sides were the same easing or stretching out as I went.

IMG_4135Although this fabric was a pain for me and this pattern, the little madam loves wearing it and will love wearing it more when I finally shorten the sleeves. I think it would be better suited to a more free flowing style of garment.

Materials

Pure wool merino jersey and linen knit from the fabric store, Missoni knit from Tessuti, cotton.

Advertisements

One thought on “Some hoodies

  1. Pingback: A rant and my new ranty top | elizathreads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s